Tuesday, February 23, 2016

BRE 240 Z decals

In keeping with the concept of progress in pairs, the 240 Z now has all its decals and is also ready for a coat of clear. I am just waiting for it all to set and for a relatively warm evening so I can open windows before spraying; meanwhile chassis and engines will be next with the 510 closest to completion.



As always, progress is tempered by new acquisitions. Model Roundup's OOP section (click here) occasionally has some neat stuff acquired from estate sales or closeouts, and I picked up the first-generation Ford GT40 Mark I as driven by Phil Hill and Bruce McLaren at Le Mans in 1964. They didn't finish due to gearbox failure (a Colotti unit backing an aluminum version of the Fairlane 260 motor, according to Wikipedia), but the experience eventually led to the string of wins by Ford starting in 1966, with reliable Hewland gearboxes and the monster 427 motor from the Galaxie. The kit is the venerable IMC version; this one had been opened and some of the bits may be missing, which explains the low price -- intact sealed kits are at least double what I paid for it. At least I won't feel guilty if I build it, unlike my IMC kit of the Lola T70 which is factory sealed and which I haven't dared to open, because it still has a price tag for $1.83 on it.

From the sublime to the ridiculous: I also ordered a 1961 Olds F85 Wagon from Jo-Han. The reason: it's obscure, plus the engine is probably the aluminum V8 which GM sold to Rover and which wound up in the 3500S as well as the early Range Rovers. At one time TVR made a name for themselves with hot-rod options for this, including a 4.5 liter version that went into the Griffith. I have no idea what I will do with this. Pictures of all this as the packages are delivered.

Separately the local shop had a reissue of the 1980's Volvo F12 truck by Italeri. As this is likely not to be available for very long, I had to have it. Wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment