Thursday, November 10, 2016

1964 Prince (Nissan) Skyline 2000 GT

While waiting for the paint to dry on the 300 SL, I dug out the Fujimi curb-side kit of the original Skyline, designed and put into production by Prince just as Prince was being acquired by Nissan. This unassuming 4-door is completely nondescript except for the twin-cam six which is unfortunately not modeled.



At some future date I will get around to the later 2-door GT-R, also by Fujimi, which has a well modeled six but a molded-in hood! I am not sure what they were thinking. And the plastic is very thick, so cutting out the hood will be a major challenge.



Anyway progress on the 2000 GT was quick since there isn't much to do underneath. A solid rear axle on leaf springs and front discs complement the six. The off-white paint (Tamiya TS-7 Racing White) is on; once dry I'll tape it and paint the roof burgundy. Interestingly I had no problems with this, unlike my repeated challenges with Tamiya yellow.



Unlike the chassis and interior, final assembly will take time as there are four chrome strips and two chrome door handles per side, as well as lots of lights, mirrors, etc. It even has a chrome windshield washer nozzle smack in the middle of the hood. First, however, will be the awesome (I do not use that word lightly) 300 SL.

No comments:

Post a Comment