Wednesday, September 13, 2017

1951 Belair: Mating resin and styrene, Part III

The interior panels have been glued together, and sit nicely in the body with the tops of the door panels just slightly below the window edges. All the interior chrome was done with Bare Metal Foil. The door panels were painted according to instructions from the supplier, Best Model Car Parts, and the light tan (Model Master Flat Fabric Tan) is really not entirely right -- it is all meant to look like a wood panel. The darker brown (Testor's Flat Rust) looks pretty good. Next will be to complete and install the dashboard and firewall, and finish off the rolling components.



I've given the body a first coat of the final colour, Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze. It's a nice '50's pastel colour and it all looks good. I'll probably do the steel wheels in the same colour, and add baby Moon hubcaps.



It'll sit for a few days as I have other projects that will take me away from the bench, so the paint will have time to get nice and hard. I still need to scribe the door gaps which look pretty ratty, then I'll paint on the wood. You can find photos of what these looked like by Googling 'Chevy Tin Woodies'; I'll see what I can find in the way of paints that look reasonable, especially for the light wood colour.

All that's missing is a windshield visor, a roof rack and a surfboard. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment