Wednesday, October 11, 2017

D-Type: Paint, take 2

So having stripped all the paint off the body following a disastrous first attempt at painting, I primed it again (this time with Tamiya primer), followed by several coats of Tamiya's TS 53, Deep Metallic Blue. The original colour wasn't right, although the clear blue looked good on top of the gloss aluminum; this is much closer to period photos of the Ecurie Ecosse livery, and is not quite as purple as the picture (taken with my cell phone) looks on my screen.



Taping it all up so it would hang together was no mean feat, and supporting it on a stand was a non-starter because the floor pan is part of the monocoque and thus gets painted. I wanted it all together because some bits were getting more paint than others and were thus of different shades.





It all came out looking pretty good if I do say so myself... and the colour, with my little Canon point & shoot in macro mode, looks much closer onscreen to what I see when I look at it.





Next steps: cleaning up the overspray where the blue got onto the aluminum, which I sprayed first. The assumption here was that I could fix minor issues by putting aluminum on with a brush, but that fixing the blue would be challenging without a lot of taping. But first: Let it sit for a couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment