Monday, February 5, 2018

'52 Hudson Hornet: planning

What a perfect car for a chop! It's got that '49 Merc shape to it, but cleaner. The moldings on the rocker panels will have to go; so will the little range finders on the tops of the front fenders. The long trim piece from the rocket above the front fender to the rear bumper may also need to go, although the line does break up the slab side nicely. Front and rear bumpers will need some work. But the shape is there.



I'm of two minds about the top. Option #1 is to move the roof down and forward, lengthening the rear deck (and maybe even shortening the roof to eliminate the rear seat as in the second picture below).





Option #2 is to keep the windscreen roughly where it is, but tilt the roof back into the rear deck.



And yes, I am aware of the Jimmy Flintstone pickup body for this. I think I'll stick to the club coupe format.

No matter what else happens, getting it to drag its tail will be critical.

As an aside, I passed on this 1949 model, offered for only $12,500 by the side of the road in Watkins Glen in 2014. It didn't look street legal to me...



No comments:

Post a Comment