Tuesday, February 13, 2018

52 Hudson: Top chop Part 2

Having used up a fair bit of putty getting the roof line just right, I think it's all looking good and is just needing the rear quarter window frames tidied up. (The slight dip in the roofline just behind the door posts has been fixed since the picture was taken).





Next is the engine which was apparently painted gold. Ugh. But anyway I went for it, in the interests of accuracy, using a Detail Master distributor kit to liven it up. I'm going to leave the big red air filter canisters off it, and will look for velocity stacks from the stash once I am home.



The kit is very detailed and the molds, being new, are nice and clean. Everything fits, so far, and there have been some pleasant surprises such as the vacuum advance unit on the distributor. I'll probably cut this off and glue it to the side of the Detail Master unit, which also needs paint on the cap.



A mockup shows the potential. The velocity stacks, if I can find a long enough pair, may just poke through the hood; it'll have to be subtle, though.



Finally the stance can be sorted out in the rear by means of a spacer block between the axle and leaf springs; in the front it will depend on whether I want a nose-up stance or something flatter. Definitely it needs to be dragging its butt.



I think I want less white wall showing at the rear, which will require carving a groove in the chassis frame rails that wrap over the axle. The front looks nice here, but once I've dropped the rear to where I want it, I may change my mind.



That big curvaceous rump is just about right. There will also be a pair of sidepipes peeking out the passenger side, and it is easy to picture it on a warm summer evening, burbling down Main Street on the way to the drive-in for a burger and a sundae.

There won't be much more progress until I am moved back in to my newly-renovated home and the workshop is set up, because spray painting is not really possible where I am camping out. Once I do move back in, the priority will be the kitchen and other living areas, so I am afraid the workshop may not get set up right away. The Hudson will therefore join the LN 8000 and the 356 on the back burner for now.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment